Photo strip

Photo strip

11 December 2010

Sugar, sugar

Having stayed in Cairns just long enough to make day trips to the west and east, it's time to get some wheels and head north. The mountains run parallel with the coast, and for about 90 kilometers - as far as the Daintree River - there is a coastal plain. Tarmacked road continues for another 50 kilometers north, squeezed in between the mountain slopes and the ocean, as far as Cape Tribulation. I have a campervan for a week, and the plan is to drive up to Cape Tribulation, visiting some of the World Heritage rainforest along the way, and then come back south of the Daintree River and head inland onto the Atherton Tableland before circling back to Cairns.

The coastal plain was cleared for agriculture in the later 19th century. To a first approximation, there is just one crop: sugar cane. The field in the foreground has been cut, but behind and slightly to the left, the cane is still standing. In the distance, the mountain slopes are covered with rain forest.


Although sugar cane cultivation extends a considerable way north and south, there is one town - Mossman - that is the centre of sugar cane cultivation, by virtue of having the only sugar cane mill. The chimney, and its rather dirty cloud of smoke, dominates the small settlement.


There are one or two characteristic style buildings in the town. This one is confusingly called the Daintree Inn, although the various places with the name Daintree are a bit further north.


The sugar mill was opened in 1897, with a two foot gauge tramway to the wharf on the Mossman River. By 1899, tramway had been completed from the sugar fields to the mill, and the extensive network is still the means by which all cane from the surrounding region is brought to the mill. This section of tramway cuts through the centre of town and across the main road.


The empty trucks are left on sidings next to the crop, and the farmers fill them directly, before they are collected up again into a train and taken back to the mill:



5 comments:

  1. Was the smell horrible from the sugar mill? We have one quite near us and when we have to drive past the pong is awful.

    Our farmers just leave piles of it next to the road and the factory comes and picks it up. I've taken a pile of beet which you might have seen.

    It looks as though the town is living in a time warp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there wasn't a bad smell. I presume that all the sugar near you is beet - sugar cane and sugar beet are totally different plants, which both just happen to produce lots of the same chemical (sucrose). I imagine the process for refining the sugar is completely different.

    Mossman's quite a small town - and I guess I tend to take pictures of what to me are the more interesting bits - so no pics of the supermarket, then :-) There are only 1700 inhabitants, but I guess that it serves quite a big rural population.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you learn something new every day. Graham knew they were different plants. But he also says that the process to extract the sucrose is totally different and it's that that causes the pong at our sugar beet mill. He use to work at some sugar cane refineries in Africa.

    Rather glad you didn't take a photo of the supermarket. I haven't done all this travelling around to see another Carrefour!

    chp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last comment made me laugh :-)

    It also made me think about how much I packed in - but also how much I leave out of the blog. I went to Mossman and Mossman Creek on the same day - the day after I went diving on the reef. I picked the van up about 10 am, and then stopped at a hypermarket (definitely think Carrefour) to shop for a week, then drove on to Mossman. By the time I got there, I realised the van hire place hadn't put the electric fan I'd paid to rent into the van, so I phoned them and they told me to buy one - so I spent a good half hour trying to do that in Mossman. After I left Mossman Gorge I drove on up to Daintree Village ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you will miss things out. You'll follow the logical route that you were taking. The bits in the middle, like needing to buy an fan for the camper wouldn't register to write down. Or not unless someone like me comes along and says something silly about travelling and Carrefour! :O)

    I would probably put too much in a Blog and bore everyone to tears, or spend hours editing it.

    Now *must* read the next bit.

    chp.

    ReplyDelete