Photo strip

Photo strip

23 September 2010

I arrive

Well here I am in the first corner – Perth. I sat watching the scenery go past in the shuttle bus from the airport in a slightly dazed and sleep-deprived way. Lots of eucalyptus trees, but so far not a single billabong or jolly swagman. The birds all seem to be larger and more brightly coloured than in western Europe – a Willie Wagtail waving its tail vigorously from side to side as it rushed around in bursts, giving the binocular-less impression of a dark coloured squirrel undulating across the lawn; a pair of cockatoos with rather smart but subtle colouration – pale grey above and pink below – that turned out, on consulting the book, to be galahs; a fast flying flock of streaks of red – some kind of parakeet too quick to identify; and a coot – yes? – yes, the same species that we have at home in western Europe.

By a kind of symmetry with the journey to Schiphol, the shuttle bus got stuck in a traffic jam. By the time I got to the hotel it was almost dark, and as I’m off early in the morning on a trip out to an island, and the ferry terminal isn’t too far from the hotel, I thought I’d do a recce and check that I know where to go in the morning. The pier turns out to be just behind the modern bell tower that’s a recent addition to Perth architecture. It’s all lit up at night, so I didn’t come back to the hotel photo-less.



The tower apparently houses a 16-bell peal, plus two extra chromatic notes. Twelve of the bells came from St Martin-in-the-Fields, to mark the 1988 Australian bicentenary, and the other 6 bells were made specially. I'm not sure where the bells go in relation to the lights.

9 comments:

  1. Hi F(A)B! Just having a try out on the blog. Not sure if I'm doing everything right. I'm enjoying my vicarious trip down under tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lugh, Reading you loud and clear :-)
    I have two great days with photos, and animals with starnge names like quokkas and woylies, but no time to write and upload photos! Tomorrow is my last day of freedom for most of the next 6 days, so perhaps I will catch up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! Don't overdo it, now. Quokkas and woylies: wonderful. I spose Lil knows what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kate! Have finally managed to register.
    Sounds like you are enjoying things and that Oz is living up to expectations so far - looking forward to the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog, Kate. Have a F(A)B time in Oz - follow the Yellow Brick Road.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous! Hope the quokkas were friendly - looking forward to the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know why you thought I'd left a message before there are 2 of named Jane who are logged in. I'm the chp one!

    That tower is stunning. Am really enjoying the photos; though would be interested to know what they come out like on photobucket as well as the blog. Or I need to clean my specs!

    Hope you're having a good time. I've also left a message on you last lot of photos too, but only realised just now that there a 2 of us with the same name.

    Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi chp,
    I thought the one 3 posts above this was you because they referred to F(A)B. The other Jane is someone I know quite well in real life. It would help if you signed yours chp, and I'll keep you sorted out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, it must be a bit confusing. I'll remember to sign off as chp. The message on the tail was me.

    chp.

    ReplyDelete